Urquhart Castle

Urquhart Castle along Loch Ness

Urquhart Castle History

Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness

The first castle was built for Alan Durward, son-in-law of Alexander II, in the 13th century. In 1275 ownership passed to John Comyn but the English captured it in 1296.

It passed to and fro for a number of years until in 1308 Robert the Bruce gave it to his nephew, Sir Thomas Randolph. It returned to Crown hands in 1346 but was continually being captured by the Lords of the Isles.

For a time held by the Grants, the castle was abandoned in 1692.

Romantically situated on Strone Point by the side of Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle is one of the better-known Scottish castles. It has a complicated layout, having been destroyed over many centuries.

Urquhart Castle and Loch Ness

From the drawbridge, one enters a large irregular courtyard. To the south is the upper bailey, with various structures, including what is thought to have been a smithy and the base of a round dovecote.

The northern half of the castle has more buildings, and here rises the tower house at the tip of Strone Point. It has five stories, though some floors have gone, reached by a turnpike stair.

The great hall was located over the kitchen in a separate block, rising above a cliff. In the middle of the nether baileys, on a low mound, stood what was probably the chapel.

Urquhart Castle Location

Urquhart Castle Address: Drumnadrochit, IV63 6XJ, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided below:

Urquhart Castle Map

Scroll to Top