Norwich Castle

Norwich Castle

All that remains of Norwich Castle today is the spectacular Norman keep built high on a mound overlooking the city of Norwich.

History of Norwich Castle

Norwich Castle entrance

This stone keep was constructed by order of the King between 1100 and 1120 replacing a wooden structure that stood on the same mound dating back to the Norman conquest of 1066. During the 14th century, the importance of the castle declined, and in 1345 the King gave the two baileys which no longer exist to the city of Norwich retaining the keep as a permanent prison.

Norwich Castle Museum

Between 1834 and 1839 the exterior stonework of flint and Caen stone, which has severely deteriorated, was replaced with Bath stone and the thirteen battlements on each side were reduced to nine.

In 1887 the prison was moved to a new and larger building. In 1894 the keep became a museum, a function it retains to this very day.

Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery – Visitor Information

Bridge to Norwich Castle

Opening Times

Low Season: 1 April – 26 June, 3 October – 1 July 2012

Mon – Sat: 10am – 4.30pm
Sun: 1 – 4.30 pm
Peak Season: 27 June – 2 October

Mon – Sat: 10am – 5pm
Sun: 1 – 5 pm
Norwich Castle is closed between 24 – 27 December 2011 & 1 January 2012

Admission Tickets Prices and Special Exhibitions Tickets

Adult: £6.60 / £3.50
Concession or Adult (in a family group): £5.60 / £3.00
Children: (age 4-16): £4.80 / £2.60
For group visits discounts call: 01603 495897 / 493636

Norwich Castle Visitor Contact
Tel: 01603 495897
Official website:

Norwich Castle Location

Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery Address: Castle Hill, Norwich, NR1 3JU

Norwich Castle Map

Scroll to Top