Hailes Castle

Hailes Castle The Great Hall

Hailes Castle History

Hailes Castle near East Linton

Hailes Castle stands on a rock above the River Tyne, and its oldest parts date from the 13th century.

This is the central tower, built of red sandstone, with the curtain wall to the east of this, and the stairway down to the well.

The tower contains a pit prison but was altered in later years to form a dovecote, the nesting boxes of which still survive. Some are carved from solid stones.

The western tower was added in the late 14th century, as was the rebuilt south curtain wall. This tower has a vaulted basement and pit prison.

Hailes Castle walls

Living quarters formerly existed above. In the 15th century, a new block was added between the two towers. Its lower floor was vaulted and contained a bakehouse with an oven and bread trough.

The upper floor was a chapel with aumbry and piscina. A postern leads out to the riverbank. Only the foundations survive of the east range.

The Dunbars, who were Earls of the March, probably built Hailes. The Hepburns added the west tower. In 1567 ownership passed to the Stewarts, followed by the Serons.

It was destroyed in 1650 by Cromwell’s troops and remained in ruins thereafter, though it was used as a granary for a time. The Earl of Balfour passed the building into state care in 1926.

Hailes Castle Location

Hailes Castle Address: Haddington, East Lothian EH41 4PY, UK. Get help with directions using the map provided below:

Hailes Castle Map

Scroll to Top