Dunnottar Castle

Dunnottar Castle and Old Hall Bay

Dunnottar Castle History

Dunnottar Castle ruins

Dunnottar Castle is a vast, impressive ruin perched on a great rocky headland. A steep path leads down the cliffside and up to the entrance gate, protected by large gun loops from the guardroom.

The way continues through two tunnels to the grassed courtyard, with bowling green to the north and a churchyard to the south (with one tiny grave from 1685).

The buildings around the quadrangle and large well comprise the Silver House (re-roofed in 1927), with seven chambers below the 15th-century ballroom.

The north and east range have a series of the Whigs Vault. 122 men and 45 women were imprisoned in the Whigs Vault in 1685, and some died in making an escape. The remains of the 13th-century chapel are the oldest part of the castle.

Dunnottar Castle-Old Hall Bay

Over the vaults are the Countess and Marischal suites, the latter with an armorial lintel over the fireplace and old stone clock face. The restored dining room has a memorial over the fire commemorating that the Honours of Scotland (Crown Jewels) were kept here from 1651 until 1652.

Waterston’s Lodging dates from 1574; the stables and smithy are south of it. The keep is of the 14th century, with the lower floor vaulted and the great hall over. Beyond is the Wallace Door of 1297, a small museum room over Benholms’s Lodging, the Lion’s Den, and the descent to entrance pend.

Dunnottar Castle was the seat of the Keiths, Earls Marischal, until 1716 when the 10th Earl had his estates forfeited for his Jacobite adherences.

Sold to the York Buildings Company, the castle was stripped and de-roofed. In 1919 J.W. Guy Innes sold the ruins to Viscountess Cowdray who undertook partial restoration. They remain the property of her descendants.

Dunnottar Castle Location

Dunnottar Castle Address: Stonehaven, Kincardineshire AB39 2TL, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided below:

Dunnottar Castle Map

Scroll to Top