Cooling Castle

Cooling Castle History

Cooling Castle

Cooling Castle was built as a result of the French raid which ravaged this part of Kent in 1379.

It was completed in 1385 covering nearly eight acres and consisting of two parallel but unequal wards separated by a moat surrounding both.

Cooling castle towers

The Inner Gatehouse is thought to remain standing at almost 10 meters. The watergate or postern is standing and a small wooden boat was previously dug up opposite this.

The undercroft of the ‘Great Chamber’ remains, and the foundations of many buildings in the southeastern part of the castle are thought to be buried underneath flower beds. In 1554, Sir Thomas Wyatt, during his revolt against Queen Mary, attacked the castle on his advance to London. Lord Cobham, surrendered the castle after the siege of 6 hours pleading with a shortage of cannons and the lukewarm support of his henchmen.

Cooling castle courtayrd

Wyatt captured Lord Cobham and his two sons and forced them to march with him to London, but they managed to make their escape and went back to Cooling.

The castle was never fully repaired and was not much used after the 1580s. The present house was built around 1670 and is in private hands.

Cooling Castle Location

Address: Cooling Castle Barn, Cooling Castle, Main Rd, Cooling, Rochester, Kent ME3 8DT, United Kingdom.
Get help with directions using the map provided below:

Cooling Castle Map

Scroll to Top