Aberdour Castle

Aberdour Castle ruins and courtyard

Aberdour is an attractive castle built in three distinct stages, the most recent of which is still roofed.

Aberdour Castle History

Aberdour Castle stone buttresses

The original tower house was built in the 14th Century and part of a fallen corner now sits precariously below the ruins. The central range, which contained a kitchen in the vaulted ground floor and bed chambers above, was added in the 16th Century.

William, Earl of Morton, built the East range between 1606 and 1648. The ground floor contains a stable and exhibition room; the upper floor has an attractive gallery, 63ft long, with furniture and medieval music. A couple of small rooms are located off the gallery.

Aberdour Castle walls

The grounds contain a 16th Century beehive dovecote, with 600 nests, sundials, 50 feet deep well, gardens, and walled terraces. The walled garden was for some time a Bowling Green.

Aberdour Castle has been in Douglas’s ownership since 1342. James, 4th Earl of Morton is noted as being a Regent and murderer of Darnley, the second husband of Mary, Queen of Scots.

In 1642 the 7th Earl of Morton made Aberdour his principal seat, remaining as such until 1725 when the Douglas family moved to Aberdour House. The castle remained occupied successively as a barrack, school, Masonic hall, and house.

Aberdour Castle Location

Aberdour Castle Address: KY3 0SL, Fife KY3, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided below:

Aberdour Castle Map

Scroll to Top