A massive pile crowning a prominent hill, Dundonald
Castle can be seen for many miles around.
Dundonald Castle History
The present ruins date from the 3rd castle to occupy the site and
before that there was a fort of the Dark Ages. The first castle was erected in the late 12th
century, made mainly of wood. Alexander Stewart erected the next castle in the late 13th
century, but it was destroyed in the Wars of Independence.
The well from this building survives outside the present castle, and
part of a round tower is incorporated in the northwest corner.
The present castle was erected around 1371, when Robert II was
crowned. The castle is three storeys high.
The bedrooms must have been located in the southern extension which
was added c.1450. Here also was the ground floor prison, with fireplace, and a dark pit
The Stewarts owned Dundonald from around 1150 until
1482 when it was sold to the Cathcarts. In 1526 it passed to the Wallaces, but by 1650 it was
in ruins, the family having moved to Old Auchans nearby.
Tradition states that some stone was taken from the castle to build
the new house. James Boswell and Samuel Johnson visited the ruins in 1773. The Cochrane family,
the chief of which has the title Earl of Dundonald, acquired the ruins later.
Address: Dundonald, South Ayrshire KA2 9HD, Scotland, United Kingdom. Get
help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map