Dean Castle - Short History
Located in a 200 acre country park, the keep of Dean
Castle dates back to around 1350. It has a palace and barbican added in
A Victorian mansion is now the castle shop, where guided tours
commence. The castle was burned in 1735 and lay in ruins until the restoration of 1908-46. The
gatehouse was added in 1936.
The Dean Palace has a vaulted kitchen on the ground
floor, with old utensils, and oven in the ingle.
The dining room above has a plaster ceiling, brought from Balcomie
Castle. Heraldic banners commemorate former owners. A stair leads to a chamber, with panelled
walls and a plaster ceiling.
The Boyd family owned Dean Castle until 1748. In 1786 the Scotts
(later Scott-Ellis) bought it, with the 9th Lord Howard de Walden giving the castle to
Kilmarnock in 1975.
Dean Castle Address: Dean Road, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire KA3 1XB, United
Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:
Dean Castle in a larger map