The Villafranca del Bierzo Castle was built in 1515 over
the remains of a previous fortification. Its first owner was Don Pedro Alvarez de Toledo
(second marques of Villafranca) and since 1850 by Don Joaquin Caro y Alvarez.
More of a fortified-palance than a castle, it was ransacked in 1809 by the
English and in 1815 and 1819 by the French during the Independence War.
The Castle Today
Today the Villafranca del Bierzo Castle is owned by the
Marques of Villafranca. It is also known as Castillo-Palacio de los Marqueses.
Access to the exterior castle is possible, but to visit the interior one
needs to get permission from the owners.
del Bierzo Castle
Address: Castillo-Palacio de los
Marqueses, Plaza de Prim, 24500 Villafranca
del Bierzo, Spain. Get help with
Villafranca del Bierzo Castle in a larger map