Romantically situated on Strone Point by the side of Loch Ness, Urqhuart
Castle is one of the better known Scottish castles. It has a complicated layout,
having been destroyed over many centuries.
From the drawbridge one enters a large irregular courtyard. To the
south is the upper bailey, with various structures, including what is thought to have been a
smithy and the base of a round dovecote.
The northern half of the castle has more buildings, and here rises the
tower-house at the tip of Strone Point. It has five storeys, though some floors have gone,
reached by a turnpike stair.
The great hall was located over the kitchen in a separate block,
rising above a cliff. In the middle of the nether baileys, on a low mound, stood what was
probably the chapel.
The first castle was built for Alan Durward, son-in-law of Alexander
II, in the 13th century. In 1275 ownership passed to John Comyn but the English captured it in
It passed to and fro for a number of years until in 1308 Robert the
Bruce gave it to his nephew, Sir Thomas Randolph. It returned to Crown hands in 1346 but was
continually being captured by the Lords of the Isles.
For a time held by the Grants, the castle was abandoned in
Urquhart Castle Map&Location
Urquhart Castle Address: Drumnadrochit, IV63 6XJ, United Kingdom. Get help with directions
using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map
Urquhart Castle Photos
Urquhart Castle along Loch Ness
Urquhart Castle and Loch Ness
Urquhart Castle (from the Visitor Centre)
Urquhart Castle ( from the Visitor Centre)
Urquhart Castle Tower