Upnor Castle was built in 1559 to protect the Queen's navy when
moored in Chatham Reach and later enlarged at the end of the 16th century.
Subsequently it was converted into a magazine establishment in the late-17th
century after the Dutch raid on the Medway.
The castle was designed by Sir Richard Lee, the foremost English military
engineer of his day.
Accounts of the first building campaign extend to 1564. The Upnor
Castle was enlarged in 1599-1601 when it took on its present shape.
In 1623, eighteen guns of various sizes were mounted and the castle saw action
during the Dutch raid on the Medway in 1667.
Following that attack, the defences of the Medway were changed radically and in
1668 Upnor was ordered to be converted into 'a Place of Stores and Magazine'.
This use continued until 1827. Soon after 1718, a separate barrack was built for
the garrison close to the village street.
In 1891 Upnor and its depot was transferred from the War Office to the Admiralty
and became part of the Naval Armament Supply Department
Upnor Castle later became an ordnance laboratory and in 1961 it
became a national monument and is now cared for by English heritage.
Upnor Castle Visits
The Upnor Castle is a rare example of an Elizabethan artillery fort and it
is open for visits.
Adult ticket: £5.50, Child ticket: £3.50 and a
Family Ticket: £14.50. For opening times visit the official website.
Tel: 01634 718742 or 01634 338110 when castle is closed.
Upnor Castle Map&Location
Upnor Castle is located in Upper Upnor, Rochester, Kent ME2 4XG, United Kingdom.
Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map