Spectacularly located on its cliff top,
Tantallon Castle shows a massive sandstone wall to the
Tantallon Castle Description
Outwith this are earthworks, a dovecote and an outer gate. A
bridge across the ditch enters the Mid Tower, formerly the home of
Great walls extend to either side of this and within the
stairway leads to the high battlements. A further stair in the Mid Tower leads to the airy
turret which has views of the castle and across the Forth to the Bass Rock.
The East Tower is partially ruined.
Formerly it was five storeys in height, but one room is still roofed and has a replica gun in
The western tower was the laird’s residence, and is known as the
Douglas Tower. Formerly six storeys tall, only the lower floors are
now hale – the vaulted prison and garderobe.
The two terminal towers have been
ruinous since the attack by Cromwell in 1651.
Within the courtyard is a 100 feet deep well, an incomplete sea
gate, and the west wing with brew house, and a kitchen with its oven. Over the vaults is the
hall, with the profile of the roof timbers surviving in stone.
The "Red" Douglases built Tantallon in the 14th
century. The castle was attacked in 1528 by King James V but was rebuilt. Queen
Victoria visited in 1878. It was taken into state care in 1924
Tantallon Castle Map&Location
Address: Tantallon Castle, North Berwick, EH39 5PN, United
Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map
Tantallon Castle Photos
Tantallon Castle ruins
Coastal East Lothian -Tantallon Castle
East tower - Tantallon Castle
The Great Hall (North Range) Tantallon Castle
The remains of the Douglas Tower