Currently the Sutton Valence Castle consists of fragmentary
remains of a small 12th or 13th century castle.
The castle and the adjacent settlement of Sutton belonged to Simon de Montfort
but were granted to William de Valence, half brother to Henry III, in 1265 in return for helping to
defeat Simon de Montfort's rebellion.
The active history of Sutton Valence is short and it appears to
have fallen into disuse after 1300. It once controlled the important medieval route that ran from
Rye and Winchelsea to Maidstone and the Medway.
Sutton Valence Castle - Visitor Info
The Keep at Sutton Valence Castle still reported as covered in
ivy in the 20th century, was taken over by English Heritage.
The castle is open for visits and the access is free.
Sutton Valence Castle Map&Location
Sutton Valence Castle address: Broad Street, Sutton Valence, Maidstone ME17 3AJ, United Kingdom.
Use this map to get help with directions:
View Larger Map