Known also as the Spynie Palace,
this was the seat of the Bishops of Moray from 1208 until Reformation, after which the castle
became ruinous. Mary, Queen of Scots stayed in 1562.
The castle stands on the edge of what was once the
great Spynie sea loch, with a harbour and small village, but this became silted and
The great tower or David’s
tower is the most striking feature, rising six storeys in height, with walls tapering
to the corbels. On the ground floor are vaulted cellars, one of which was the circular vault in
a 14th century castle.
The first floor doorway leads to the interior, the
floors of which have gone. However, one is impressed with the old masonry with the mason’s
marks, and the modern restoration works which includes leaded windows, concrete vaulted
corridor and spiral stair.
Some old plaster still adorns the walls. The stair
leads to the parapet, which affords wide panoramas over the loch and Laich of
The courtyard is surrounded by ruinous buildings,
the most complete of which is the northwest tower, containing a dovecote. The water gate is a
notable feature, located between the kitchen ovens and the great hall (dates to
The great hall has faces carved on two corbels, and
a deep well at the East End. The east gate dates from the 15th century, and its external
appearance is most attractive. The south range is basically now a single wall, but here can be
seen an ornate piscina in what was the chapel.
Address: Spynie Palace, Elgin IV30 5QG, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the
map provided bellow:
View Larger Map
Spynie Palace Photos
Spynie Castle South Gate
Spynie Castle interior
Corbels at Spynie Castle David's Tower
Spynie Kirkyard and Palace
Spynie Palace-16th Century coat of arms