Tarvit Tower Description
Scotstarvit (Tarvit Tower) is a very fine and
complete ashlar tower built on a rock outcrop, L-shaped in plan, the arched doorway leads to
the vaulted ground floor, and the corbels survive for the missing wooden entresol
The turnpike stair in the wing leads to the first floor hall with its
large fireplace, windows with seats, slop-chute and laird’s lug. The ceiling is of timber.
There are some carved stones on the floor here, one of 1723. The second floor is again vaulted,
the third having a missing timber ceiling.
There may have been a dovecote in this storey, there being two block
openings for birds in the walls. A fireplace which existed here is now incorporated in the Hill
The stair, which is 75 steps high, is followed up to the cap-house,
with stone roof. Over the doorway is a panel with the initials SIS DAD IS AD 1627. The parapet
walk can be followed right round the tower, and the roof is of flagstones.
Tarvit Tower History
Tarvit Tower was erected between 1550 and 1579 for
the Inglis’s, but was purchased in 1611 by John Scot who renamed it Scotstarvit. It is his
initials and those of his wife, Anne Drummond, which appear on the panel over the cap-house
door. He was noted as the author of The Staggering State of the Scots Statesmen.
The estate later passed to the Wemyss family followed by Frederick
Sharp in 1904. The castle was placed in care in 1941, and gifted to the National Trust of
Scotland in 1949 by Miss E C Sharp.
Scotstarvit Tower Map&Location
Directions: A916, Fife KY15. There are directions signs
on the road that indicates Scotstarvit Tower.
Approximate Geographic Coordinates: 56.289758, -3.018878
Scotstarvit Tower in a larger map