San Salvador de la Punta History
San Salvador de la Punta is a remarkable fortress built between the late
1590 through the middle of the 17th century to safeguard the main entranceway to the bay and
harbor of Havana.
The fortress was commissioned by Felipe II and and the design and
construction were handled by the famous Italian engineer Juan Bautista Antonelli.
Although the fortress first served as a storehouse for weapons and
artillery, it was soon connected to El Morro in 1630 via a heavy copper chain held by strong
The Fortress Today
The San Salvador de la Punta now houses remains of the chain mechanism, four
esplanades, huge canons fixed in the rocks, a memorial park paved with scarlet ceramic tiles,
and a highly distinctive but wrecked Spanish ship with heavy cargo.
The castle underwent massive restoration works in 1997 and today it shines
in its true splendor. Entrance fee to the castle costs $3.
Castillo de San Salvador de la Punta Map
San Salvador de la Punta is located in Malecón, Havana, Cuba
Geographic Coordinates: 23.146253, -82.357719
View Larger Map