History of Prague Castles
The Prague Castle’s (Hradčany)
construction begun around the year 885. It was originally designed as a Slavic fortress with
wood and earthen walls and mostly wooden buildings, it became the centre of the Bohemian state
and ducal/royal seat.
The earliest stone structures were the church of the Virgin Mary
(before 885); a basilican church of St George (around 920, later rebuilt after 1142) near the
Benedictine convent; and a circular church of St Vitus (before 930), followed in 1060–96 by a
double-choir Romanesque basilica.
In 1135–85, the Prague Castle was
rebuilt in stone in Romanesque style (three-gated fortification, princely palace with chapel of
All Saints, church of St Bartholomew, and episcopal palace with chapel of St
Gothic reconstruction began after 1333 under Charles IV. After Prague
became an archbishopric, he began building the Gothic cathedral of St Vitus. Its first
architect was Matthias of Arrasin 1344–1352, followed in 1356–1397 by Peter Parler. In 1419,
the Hussite Wars interrupted the construction.
Late Gothic rebuilding of the castle began after 1483 under King
Władysław Jagiełło. It included renovation of the royal palace (for example, the Vladislav
Hall, 1490–1502, by architect Benedikt Ried) and an attempt to continue the
In the royal garden, Queen Anna’s summer palace was
built by Giovanni Spatio, Paolo della Stella, and Bonifacius Wohlmut in the Renaissance style,
as was the organ loft in St Vitus’ and the chapel of St Adalbert.
The present fabric of Prague Castle comes from 18th
and 19th century restorations.
Prague Castle Map&Location
To get to the Prague Castle follow this adress: Prague Castle, 119 08 Prague
1 Czech Republic 168 m NW. Get help with directions using this map provided bellow.
View Larger Map
Prague Castle Photos
Mathias Gate Prague Castle
Prague Castle Gardens
Prague Castle first courtyard wing
Prague Castle defenestration site
Royal balcony Prague castle
Prague Castle interior
Prague Castle By Night