Castles and Palaces
Every Castle

Norwich Castle

All that remains of Norwich Castle today is the spectacular Norman keep built high on a mound overlooking the city of Norwich.

This stone keep was constructed by order of the King between 1100 and 1120 replacing a wooden structure which stood on the same mound dating back to the Norman conquest of 1066.During the 14th century the importance of the castle declined and in 1345 the King gave the two baileys which no longer exist to the city of Norwich retaining the keep as a permanent prison.

Between 1834 and 1839 the exterior stonework of flint and Caen stone, which has severely deteriorated, was replaced with Bath stone and the thirteen battlements on each side were reduced to nine.

In 1887 the prison was moved to a new and larger building. In 1894 the keep became a museum, a function it retains to this very day.

Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery - Visitor Information

Opening Times

Low Season: 1 April – 26 June, 3 October – 1 July 2012

  • Mon – Sat: 10am – 4.30pm
  • Sun: 1 – 4.30pm

Peak Season: 27 June – 2 October

  • Mon – Sat: 10am – 5pm
  • Sun: 1 – 5pm

Norwich Castle is closed between 24 – 27 December 2011 & 1 January 2012

Admission Tickets Prices and Special Exhibitions Tickets

Adult: £6.60 / £3.50
Concession or Adult (in family group): £5.60 / £3.00
Children: (age 4-16): £4.80 / £2.60
For group visits discounts call: 01603 495897 / 493636

Norwich Castle Visitor Contact
Tel: 01603 495897
Official website:

Norwich Castle Map&Location

Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery address: Castle Hill, Norwich, NR1 3JU

View Larger Map

Norwich Castle Photos

Source: - Click on the photos to enlarge

Norwich Castle keep

Norwich Castle entrance

Bridge to Norwich Castle

Norwich Castle Museum

Norwich Castle Museum inside

Norwich Castle keep

Norwich Castle detail
Norwich Castle keep