Romantically situated on a bend of the River Tweed,
just one mile west of Peebles, Neidpath is a well-known castle by
The Hays erected the tower around 1370. The family
later became Lords Hay of Yester and then Earls of Tweeddale.
In 1686 the estate was sold to the Douglas Dukes of
Queensberry, one of whom allowed the castle to become neglected. In 1810 the castle passed to
the Earl of Wemyss, whose heir is styled Lord Neidpath.
The second floor of the Neidpath castle has two
bedrooms, one styled as Queen Mary’s Room, for Mary, Queen of Scots stayed in 1563, but not in
this room. James VI stayed in 1587.
A lintel in the south west turnpike has a carved
sword on it, indicating that it was once a medieval gravestone. Two wall walks afford
The present roof dates from 1938. The courtyard has
a modern cottage and ruins of a bakehouse, plus an ornate gateway with the Hay crest on a
The Castle Today
Currently, Neidpath castle is not open for
Neidpath Castle Map&Location
Address: Neidpath Castle, Peebles EH45 8NW, United Kingdom, Get help with
directions using the map provided bellow:
Neidpath Castle in a larger map