The Łazienki Palace is located in a large park with
many lakes and pavilions in south Warsaw. From 1674 the land and the nearby Ujazdów Castle
belonged to Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski, who built a Baroque Bath House named
History of Łazienki Palace
The building, erected on a square plan, was richly decorated with
stuccos, statues and paintings; some of the original décor survives in the Bath Room and in
Bacchus’ Room. In 1766 King Stanisław II Augustus Poniatowski bought the estate and decided to
convert the pavilion into a summer residence.
A second storey was added in 1776, the south façade was reconstructed
in 1784; the north façade), lateral wings and a belvedere were completed in 1788; and lateral
pavilions with colonnades were added between 1792 and 1793. The design was clearly influenced
by such early French Neo-classical buildings as the Petit Trianon, Versailles, but links with
the style of late Baroque garden pavilions can also be seen. The interiors, and especially the
Ballroom, are among the best produced under the patronage of Stanisław.
Lazienki Palace was destroyed in 1944 and totally
rebuilt after World War II. It is considered one of the most outstanding examples of
Neo-classicism in Central Europe.
The King also commissioned the construction of several smaller palaces
and pavilions in the park. The White House was influenced by the architecture of Jean-François
de Neufforge. The interiors were painted by Jan Bogumił Plersz; the design of
the Dining Room is one of the earliest Polish examples of decoration derived from ancient and
Renaissance grotesque painting.
The Myślewicki Palace is a characteristic example of early Polish
Neo-classicism, with spatial arrangements based on the Palladian tradition and decorative
motifs of interiors and façades derived from the Antique.
The Old Orangery has a very well-preserved royal theatre in the east
wing, with paintings by Jan Bogumił Plersch. The Amphitheatre is an outstanding example of
architecture inspired by austere ancient forms. The stage, situated on an island in the lake,
was modelled on the Temple of Jupiter in Baalbek.
Łazienki Palace Visitor Information
Łazienki Palace Museum is open for visits. Guided tours are
available in english but you need to make an appointment at least 3 days before the visit.
Historical objects of the Museum
Palace on the Isle
Officer Cadets School
Visit the official website you to find more information regarding
the opening hours, tickets prices and tours.
Guide service reservation:
tel. (022) 5060 028
fax. (022) 5060 147
address: Agrykoli 1, 00-460 Warszawa, Poland. Get help with directions using the map provided
View Larger Map