Fyvie Castle History
Now a great Z-plan building, the oldest part of
Fyvie Castle dates from the 13th century. Each successive
laird has added to the building, to give the Preston, Meldrum, Seton, Gordon and Leith towers,
in order of erection.
Each alteration seems to have added a new kitchen, the older one
being converted into something else – the billiard room for example.
The great wheel stair, ten feet wide, is a notable feature of
the castle, and was built by the 1st Earl of Dunfermline. The whole building is covered with
the arms of Lord Leith’s ancestors.
Castle has a curse that causes the death of the laird and blindness of
his wife if he tries and enters the secret chamber below the Charter Room. In this room is a
case containing a ‘Weeping Stone’, which over the centuries has oozed water at intervals.
Alexander Leith made his fortune in the Illinois Steel Company
and bought the castle in 1885. There are many American associations with the building. Sir
Andrew Forbes-Leith sold Fyvie to the Trust in 1984.
Fyvie Castle Map&Location
Address: Fyvie Castle, Fyvie, Turriff AB53 8JS, United Kingdom.
Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map
Fyvie Castle Photos
Fyvie Castle and grounds
Fyvie Castle close-up
Fyvie Castle courtyard
Fyvie Castle frontside
Walled garden - Fyvie Castle