The Fredriksten Fortress (Fredriksten
Festnings Venner) is located in the town of Halden, close to the Swedish
Fredriksten Fortress History
Construction on the Fredriksten Fortress lasted from
1661 to 1701 and it was built at the order of the Norwegian king to reinforce the Norwegian –
In 1814, the Fredriksten fortress was again surrounded by the Swedish
army and it was under attack for 14 days. Fredriksten was not captured, but after a cease fire
agreement was signed (Convention of Moss), Norway unified with Sweden.
The Fredriksten fortress covers an extensive area of
2,000 square meters (21,528 square feet) and contains storehouses, powder houses, bastions, and
deep passageways. The fortress was built in response to continuous Swedish attacks on the
frontier post of Halden, which was vulnerable to unexpected assaults.
These days, this well preserved fort functions as a beautiful tourist
attraction that offers a panoramic view of the city of Halden.
The fortress grounds can be visited at anytime freely, but in order to
enter the fortress museum one needs to buy a ticket. Guided tours are also available during the
Address: Fredriksten Festnings Venner
- Generalveien 6, 1769 Halden, Norway. Get help with directions suing the map provided
View Larger Map