The city of Durham is still dominated from all viewpoints by the twin site of
Cathedral and Durham Castle on top of a sandstone bluff.
From the execution for treason of Earl Waltheof in 1074, the castle and the
civil power in Durham and the surrounding lands were held in tandem with the ecclesiastical
position of Bishop.
The Palatinate of Durham was extremely powerful, minting its
own coin, having its own army and courts and the castle was only separated from the church in 1836,
when the last Count Palatine of Durham gave it to the new University. As the castle is still used
by the University, visiting is limited and by guided tour.
Inside is a wonderful Norman crypt chapel, with imaginative carved capitals and
round-headed windows. One of the chief glories of the castle is a Norman doorway, blocked up for
centuries but now restored. There is also a fine Great Hall dating from the late thirteenth century
and a huge kitchen range of rooms from the fifteenth century, both still used for the purpose they
were built for.
Durham Castle Tours
Durham Castle can be visited only through guided tours as it is
still an operating building.
For more informations about tours, hours and tickets visit the official website
of the Durham University.
Durham Castle Map
View Larger Map