Dunnottar Castle Description
Dunnottar Castle is a vast and
impressive ruin perched on a great rocky headland. A steep path leads down the cliffside and up
to the entrance gate, protected by large gun loops from the guardroom.
The way continues through two tunnels to the grassed courtyard, with
bowling green to the north and churchyard to the south (with one tiny grave from
The buildings round the quadrangle and large well comprise the Silver
House (re-roofed in 1927), with seven chambers below what was the 15th century
The north and east range have a series of the Whigs Vault. 122 men and
45 women were imprisoned in the Whigs Vault in 1685, and some died in making an escape. The
remains of the 13th century chapel are the oldest part of the castle.
Over the vaults are the Countess and Marischal suites, the latter with
armorial lintel over the fireplace and old stone clock face. The restored dining room has a
memorial over the fire commemorating the fact that the Honours of Scotland (Crown Jewels) were
kept here from 1651 until 1652.
Waterston’s Lodging dates from 1574; the stables and smithy are south
of it. The keep is of the 14th century, with the lower floor vaulted and the great hall over.
Beyond is the Wallace Door of 1297, a small museum room over Benholms’s Lodging, the Lion’s Den
and the descent to entrance pend.
Dunnottar Castle was the seat of the
Keiths, Earls Marischal, until 1716 when the 10th Earl had his estates forfeited for his
Sold to the York Buildings Company, the castle was stripped and
de-roofed. In 1919 J.W. Guy Innes sold the ruins to Viscountess Cowdray who undertook partial
restoration. They remain the property of her descendants.
Dunnottar Castle Map&Location
Dunnottar Castle Address: Stonehaven, Kincardineshire AB39 2TL,
United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map