Duart Castle - Short History
Duart Castle was
built by the MacLeans in the 13th century on a headland guarding the Sound of Mull, on the Isle
It was mostly been in MacLean hands ever since, though it was
forfeited during the Jacobite uprising.
The great tower stands at the west corner of the courtyard, the
walls of which are up to 15ft thick.
The north and south sides have 17th century buildings, but the
south side is closed off with a wall and gateway.
From the main gate the way is made into the second floor of the
keep, where one sees the kitchen, scullery, 15 feet deep well and ‘occupied’
One room has an exhibition on the Swan, Cromwell’s flagship,
which sank off Duart in 1653.
The Sea Room has windows overlooking the Sound of Mull, and
contains relics of RMS Lochinvar. The Banqueting Hall has a large armorial fireplace, billiard
table, and display cabinets with numerous artifacts.
The stair leads up to the bedroom floor, where the State Bedroom
and displays of clothing are shown.
The top floor has exhibits on the restoration of the castle, the
chiefs of MacLean, and Scouting – Lord MacLean being Chief Scout. The stair continues up to the
battlement, which afford wide views.
The castle is open for visitors on select days of the season
(April to October). There is also a gift shop available at the castle.
Duart Castle Map&Location
Duart Castle Address:
Lochdon Isle of Mull, PA64 6AP, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the
map provided bellow:
View Larger Map