Drumcoltran Tower is
an attractive small rubble built house, located in the middle of a farm
Drumcoltran Tower - Short History
Drumcoltran was built around 1550 for the
Maxwell family, with Sir John Maxwell marrying the Herries heiress.
A Latin motto over the door translates as "Conceal secrets, be
timid of speech, be truthful, beware of wine, remember death, be pitiful." The panel which
would have borne arms and a date is missing.
In 1669 the tower was sold to the Irvings, followed by the Hynds
in 1799, the Herons, and the Maxwells again in 1875. It was still inhabited in the
Drumcoltran Tower Map&Location
Directions: 2 Kilnstrand, Kirkgunzeon, Dumfries, Dumfries and
Galloway DG2 8JJ. Approximate Geographic Coordinates: 54.995944, -3.768367
Drumcoltran Tower in a larger map
Drumcoltran Tower Photos
Click on the images to enlarge