Cawdor is a very fine castle with an ancient keep
built around 1380 at its core, and is surrounded by lesser wings and three
Cawdor Castle History
The vaulted ground floor of the tower still has the remains of a holly
tree which grew on the site, and tradition says this is where the builder’s donkey lay down to
rest, thus choosing the tower’s location. The keep rises to four main storeys, with crenellated
parapet and corner turrets.
Entry to the Cawdor Castle is made
across a drawbridge. The drawing room (great hall) has a minstrel’s gallery and many family
portraits. The Tapestry Room has fine Flemish tapestries dated 1682. They depict Noah and his
The Yellow, Woodcock and Pink Rooms follow, all sumptuously furnished. The
Tartan Passage contains old needlework and a model of the sailing ship Victory.
Off the vaulted Thorn Room is the old dungeon which, when it was
discovered in 1979, contained nine tons of rubble. The gate came from Lochindorb
Castle. The front stair leads to the dining room and its heraldic fireplace
When the stone for this was being brought across the drawbridge it
collapsed, injuring 24 men. In this room is preserved a bronze bell of the 9th century, found
at Barevan Church.
A modern kitchen of 1971 is followed by the original vaulted kitchen,
complete with large well and copper utensils. The former larder has an unusual tricycle, fire
engine and other relics, many of them from the Victorian period.
In the courtyard there is a well-stocked bookshop. To the south of the
castle are the flowers and wild gardens, and to the north the old walled garden, with a modern
The Calders, Thanes of that Ilk held the lands of "Calder", until 1510
when they passed by marriage of the then heiress, Muriel, to Sir John Campbell.
The Campbells still own the estate, and were created Earls of Cawdor
Address: Cawdor Castle, Nairn, IV12 5RD,
United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map