Castle Fraser History
Michael Fraser erected Castle Fraser between
1575-1635 with assistance from the Master Mason, Thomas Leiper.
Castle Fraser was known as Muchall-in-Mar until 1695.
The castle was completed by his heir, Andrew Fraser, 1st Lord Fraser.
The main block is a Z-plan tower of five storeys, to the north of
which is a courtyard with double-storeyed ‘Laigh Biggin’s’ and gateway.
The tower has a square and round projection. The latter is of the
castle’s most notable features and the roof is reached through an attractive
It affords excellent views not only of the surrounding countryside but
also of the turrets and roofs of the adjoining buildings.
Castle Fraser Tour
Tours of the Castle Fraser take one
through the vaulted kitchen and laigh hall.
On the first floor is the great hall with its large fireplace, laird’s
lug, and the original doorway, which is now blocked. On the same floor is the dining room and
the Peacock Parlour or smoking room.
The latter room is located in the round tower, but is square in shape.
On the third floor are the Green, North, Worked and Tower rooms, which are mostly
The fourth floor has the Pink Room, Red and Blue turrets and the
library (the largest room in the castle). This has decoration of 1839 when the architect John
Smith altered it.
Descending by a second stair one reaches the Bailiff’s Room on the
second floor. This has a squint, which looks down into the great hall. A small room adjoining
is said to have been a chapel.
Castle Fraser remained in Fraser ownership until 1921
when it was bought by the 1st Viscount Cowdray for his son, Hon. Clive Pearson. It passed to
his daughter, Lavinia, who married Major Michael Smiley. They gifted the castle to the Trust in
Castle Fraser Map&Location
Castle Fraser Address: Kemnay, Aberdeenshire AB51, UK. Get help with
directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map