Built to guard the Firth of Tay, Broughty
Castle looks today to be a fine tower house which dates to around 1454, when the 4th
Earl of Angus was granted permission by James II to erect one.
However, the upper walls of the tower, as well as
the present stair turret, date from 1860-61, and were built when the country feared an attack
from France. Robert Rowand Anderson designed the restorations.
A drawbridge (with large chain and weights) over the
dry ditch leads to the courtyard, the walls of which date from the
The rooms in the castle are now used for museum
exhibits, displaying examples of militaria, whaling, fishing, lifeboats, railways, ferries, sea
life and local history. The 4th floor has a small observation room, added in
Broughty passed to the Gray family
around 1490, and they remained the owners until 1666. The Fothringhams then acquired it, but in
1787 Robert Burns noted it was a ruin.
Castle was subject to an attack in 1547, though it
surrendered without firing a shot in anger. It remained in English hands until 1560 when it
surrendered to a Franco-Scots army.
In modern times the castle has been a garrison for various
regiments, being armed with guns during both World Wars. It was converted into a museum in
Broughty Castle Map&Location
Address: Broughty Castle, Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Dundee City
DD5 2TF, UK. Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map
Broughty Castle Photos
The Broughty Castle
Broughty Castle closeup
Broughty Castle stairs
Broughty Castle sand