Braemar Castle History
The original tower of the Braemar Castle was
erected by John Erskine, Earl of Mar, as a bulwark against the power of the neighbouring
In 1689 John Farquharson of Inverey burned it. Acquired in 1732 by
John Farquharson, the castle was leased in 1748 for 99 years to the Government who restored and
altered the tower (notably the star-shaped wall and tops of the turrets).
They used it as a garrison for soldiers following the Jacobite rising.
John Adam, elder son of William and brother of Robert, all notable Scots architects supervised
It was later converted to a private residence, and visited by Queen
From the entrance door one climbs to the dining room which has a few
Jacobite relics. Adjoining are the Pink Bedroom, dressing room and bathroom.
The drawing room has graffiti left by soldiers – Sergeant John
Chestnut, 1797, and others. The four poster room is a bedchamber with two closets in the
The morning room contains the world’s largest Cairngorm stone,
weighing 52 pounds, and Canadian Indian objects.
The vaulted kitchen has various relics including an early fridge.
Rooms on the ground floor contain exhibits of military relics, taxidermy, children’s toys,
foreign costumes, flags and standards and Farquharson memorabilia.
There is a charter of 1633 by the Earl of Mar in favour of Farquharson
of Invercauld, a gates and a prison. Outside the star wall is a stone cheese press.
Braemar Castle Map&Location
Address: Braemar Castle, Braemar AB35 5XR, United Kingdom. Get help
with directions using the map provided below:
View Larger Map