The Balhousie Castle
that one sees today is basically a neo-baronial mansion of 1862, designed by David Smart and
built for the Earl of Kinnoull.
Balhousie Castle Facts
The entrance is located in the re-entrant tower, over which are hay armorial
If one walks to the east façade of the
Balhousie Castle, which overlooks the North Inch, one can
make out the original castle, the stonework not being so fine.
Here one can see the turnpike stair, the thickness causing a projection in
the wall, corbelled out at first floor level.
The ancient castle of Balhousie was owned by the Eviots, but in 1625 was
acquired by Francis Hay.
The army acquired the Balhousie
Castle after World War II and since 1962 has been the headquarters and regimental
Museum of the Black Watch.
There are seven museum rooms open to the public, crammed with all sorts of
memorabilia, medals, pictures and uniforms.
Balhousie Castle Map&Location
Black Watch Castle & Museum - Address: Hay Street, Perth PH1, United
Kingdom. get help with directions:
View Larger Map
Balhousie Castle Photos
Balhousie Castle entrance
Balhousie Castle main gate
Balhousie Castle detail