Ayton Castle is a
neo-baronial red sandstone castle, built between 1845 and 1848 for William Mitchell-Innes, to
the plans of James Gillespie-Graham.
Further additions and extensions were carried out from
architects David Bryce and James Maitland, including the addition of a Billiard room and an
extension of the present drawing room between 1860 and 1867. In 1860,
following the death of William Mitchell-Inness, the castle was passed to his eldest son and
Mitchell-Innes’s son, Alexander, inherited the castle and added
to it. When he died in 1886 the castle was sold to Henry Liddell, whose descendants still own
it, though it was used for a time as a girls’ school.
The dining room proper has a large bay window overlooking the
Eye valley, and has silver polo trophies, African statuettes, 17th century mirrors, and a
replica fireplace – the original was removed and sold to the American author, Mark Twain, who
had fallen in love with it. The original fireplace can now be seen at the Mark Twain museum in
Ayton castle is open for visits, a full ticket costs £7.50,
while children under 10 pay £3.00. The Ayton castle is located in the small town of Ayton in
Berwickshire, Scottish Borders.
Ayton Castle Photos
Click on the images to enlarge
Stables Cottage/Ayton Castle, Eyemouth TD14 5RD, United
Kingdom. Get help with