Alloa Tower History
One of the largest towers in Scotland, Alloa
Tower has had a chequered history.
Built in the 14th century, it was added to at various periods. A
mansion was attached in the 18th century, but when it burned down in August 1800, its
replacement was located elsewhere.
The tower has a fine selection of portraits and landscapes by
David Allan, Sir Henry Raeburn, and others, and a few items of furniture.
The lands of Alloa were granted to the Erskines
in 1363, but the tower remained the property of the family until 1988, Mary, Queen of Scots
visited in 1565 and granted the family the Earldom of Mar.
Tradition states that her infant son, Prince James (later James
VI) actually died here in 1566 and was substituted with an Erskine child. The tower was
restored between 1988-1996 and transferred to the National Trust of Scotland.
Alloa Tower Map&Location
Alloa Tower Address: Alloa Park,
Alloa, Clackmannanshire FK101PP, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map
View Larger Map
Alloa Tower Photos
Click on the images to enlarge