Lying by the River Medway, on the site of an earlier manor house owned by
Ulnoth, one of the sons of Earl Godwin, this property was given to Bishop Odo following the Norman
On his disgrace it passed to the crown and shortly after it was granted to
William, Earl of Warren, who rebuilt the property and transferred it to Lord FitzHugh.
It came into the possession of Sir Stephen de Penchester, Constable of Dover
Castle and Warden of the Cinque Ports, he was given a grant to crenellate his house in 1281.
Whereby, he either enlarged what may already have been a small castle or had the property
During the 14th century the castle passed through the hands of the Cobham
family, the Mowbrays and the Gainsfords by inheritance and marriage.
In 1492 the castle was purchased by Sir Henry Wyatt and his son, Sir Thomas
Wyatt, was born there in 1503. Sir Thomas was described as a gentlemen – adventurer and following
the dissolution of the monastries he received the property of the friary at Aylesford. In 1554 Sir
Thomas Wyatt lead the rebellion against Queen Mary’s marriage to Philip of Spain, he was executed
for treason and his properties were forfeited to the crown.
Elizabeth I gave the Allington Castle to John Astley , Master
of the Jewels, in 1568. Sometime shortly after it was left to deteriorate and parts were
destroyed by fire.
During 17th & 18th centuries, habitable parts of the castle had a mixture of
tenants over the years, providing a home for families and later tenant farmers. Fire damage
occurred in the early 19th century and it provided labourer’s apartments until early 20th
The Allington Castle was purchased in 1905, by Sir Martin
Conway, who spent much time and money on repairs and rebuilding which were completed by 1929
In 1951 the Allington castle was purchased by the Carmelite Friars and used as a
retreat and study centre. It is currently an international conference and training
Allington Castle Map&Location
Allington Castle in located in west of Maidstone in Kent, on the A20
road (Allington, Maidstone, Kent ME16 0, UK). Get help with directions using the map
View Larger Map