Aberdour is an attractive castle built in three
distinct stages, the most recent of which is still roofed.
Aberdour Castle History
The original tower-house was built in the 14th Century and part of a
fallen corner now sits precariously below the ruins. The central range, which contained a
kitchen in the vaulted ground floor and bed chambers above, was added in the 16th
William, Earl of Morton, built the East range between 1606 and 1648.
The ground floor contains a stable and exhibition room; the upper floor has an attractive
gallery, 63ft long, with furniture and medieval music. A couple of small rooms are located off
The grounds contain a 16th Century beehive dovecote, with 600 nests,
sundials, 50 feet deep well, gardens and walled terraces. The walled garden was for some time a
Aberdour Castle has been in Douglas
ownership since 1342. James, 4th Earl of Morton is noted as being a Regent and murderer of
Darnley, second husband of Mary, Queen of Scots.
In 1642 the 7th Earl of Morton made Aberdour his principal seat,
remaining as such until 1725 when the Douglas family moved to Aberdour House. The castle
remained occupied successively as a barrack, school, Masonic hall and house.
Aberdour Castle Map&Location
Aberdour Castle Address: KY3 0SL, Fife KY3, United Kingdom. Get
help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map
Aberdour Castle Photos
Click on the images to enlarge
Aberdour Castle ruins and courtyard
Aberdour Castle stone buttresses