Castle of St. John Facts
Known also as Chapel or Stranraer Castle, this
tall tower stands in the middle of the town.
Built of grey stone, it has sandstone dressings. It is four
storeys tall, with each floor vaulted, and a turnpike in a projection leads to them all. A worn
panel is over the doorway.
The Castle of St.
John was built by Ninian Adair in 1510 and passed to the Kennedys
The Dalrymples of Stair bought it in 1680. It was acquired by the Burgh of
Stranraer in 1815. Latterly used as a store and meeting place, it was restored by the former
Wigtown District Council and opened to the public in 1990.
Castle of St. John Map&Location
Address: Castle Street, Stranraer, United Kingdom. Get help with directions
using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map
View from the top of the tower over Stranraer rooftops to the
Castle of St. John Photos
Click on the images to enlarge
The Castle of St John
Castle of St John detail
Castle of St John - Tower