Castles and Palaces
Every Castle

Kilchurn Castle

Kilchurn Castle Facts

Kilchurn is well known from its regular appearance on calendars.

A footpath from near the East End of the Orchy Bridge leads to the castle, built on a rock in the midst of what was an islet in the loch.

Entry is made through the vaulted ground floor of the tower, the doorway having a lintel with the initials IEB and MCC, 1693 and Campbell arms on it.

The tower dates from 1450. The castle was extended in 1693. Around 1550 the tower had turrets added to it; the inverted corbels of one lie in the courtyard.

Kilchurn Castle was built by the Campbells, John, 1st Earl of Breadalbane making the 17th century additions. The castle was used as a garrison during the 1745 rebellion and de-roofed in 1770. It was taken into state care in 1953.

Kilchurn Castle Map&Location

Kilchurn Castle Address: North east end of Loch Awe, Dalmally PA33, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:


View Larger Map

Kilchurn Castle Photos

Source: geograph.org.uk - Click on the images to enlarge
Kilchurn Castle panorama
Kilchurn Castle frontside
Kilchurn Castle The towerhouse
South tower of Kilchurn Castle - Photos: geograph.org.uk
CATEGORIES