The Dunvegan Castle is built
on a rock headland projecting to Loch Dunvegan, and it has a Gothic appearance.
Dunvegan Castle History
The castle disguises a much older building, however, and parts of
it date back to the 13th century.
The wall round the courtyard (which has a well and steps down to the
sea gate) dates from this time.
The keep was erected in the 14th century, the Fairy Tower around 1500.
Later additions date from the 17th, 18th and 19th century.
The present appearance is due to the alterations made by Robert Brown
for the 25th Chief, Norman MacLeod, between 1840 and 1850.
The Green Room contains relics of Bonnie Prince Charlie, Flora
Macdonald, Rory Mor’s Horn, and the Dunvegan Cup – a 16th century drinking vessel given by the
O’Neills to Rory Mor.
In the vaults below are ancient stones, the great sword of Dunvegan,
and an exhibition on the islands of St Kilda, which belonged to the MacLeods for at least four
centuries until the 1930s.
Dunvegan has been in MacLeod ownership for centuries,
and the present owner is the 29th chief and noted singer.
The gardens are attractively laid out around the burn, and boat trips
are available in Loch Dunvegan.
Dunvegan Castle Map&Location
Address: Dunvegan Castle, Isle of Skye,
Highlands and Islands IV55 8WF, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided
View Larger Map
Dunvegan Castle Photos
Dunvegan Castle-Isle of Skye
Dunvegan Castle approach bridge
Formal garden at Dunvegan Castle
Dunvegan Castle grounds
Pond in Dunvegan Castle Gardens