Drum Castle History
The old tower of Drum is believed to be one of the
three oldest towers surviving in Scotland. Adjoining it is a large wing of 1619
and some Victorian additions.
The old tower was the work of Richard Cementarius, Master Mason to the
King in the late 13th century.
The ground floor vault has a well. The lands were granted to William
Irvine in 1323 by Robert the Bruce and remained in their ownership (latterly Forbes-Irvine)
until they were given to the Trust in 1976.
Drum Castle Tours
Tours at Drum Castle commence in the
Victorian times with an oak ceiling. Off it is the Irvine Room, with genealogical books
associated with the clan.
The dining room is followed by the Business Room with the Muniment
Room off it – it is locked behind a steel door.
Tours continue through the Green Bedroom and closet, the Chintz Room
and Cross Chamber to the vaulted library, located in the laigh hall of the old
The oldest book is a history of Italy dating from the 16th century.
The gallery is a corridor leading back to the main stairs; it contains relics associated with
Prince Charlie and Mary, Queen of Scots. On the ground floor are vaulted kitchens, sculleries
and a tearoom.
Closed to the public are the north wing, which contains the
former brew house and gateway.
Near the castle is the heavily restored 16th century chapel.
Drum Castle Map&Location
Drum Castle Address: Drumoak, Banchory, Aberdeenshire AB31 5EY,
UK. Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map