A track from Crichton Church leads
south to Crichton Castle, which is a large and impressive structure perched
above the Tyne.
The oldest part, the tower on the east front, was
erected by John Crichton in 1400, and was vaulted.
A prison was located on the lower floor. His son,
Chancellor Crichton, added a fine range to the south, and created a new entrance pend, vaulted
stores, and a new hall above.
Crichton Castle is noted for its
oriel window, corbel courses, turrets, arches and large corbels. Just south of the castle is
the old stable block, with its horse shoe window a distinctive feature.
The buttresses are additions, making it look like a chapel, for
which it has been mistaken in the past.
Crichton was the seat of the
Crichton of that Ilk until 1483. James IV gave Sir Patrick Hepburn the barony, along with the
earldom of Bothwell. Mary, Queen of Scots attended a wedding here in
The Earldom passed to the Stewarts, as did the
castle, until around 1650. In 1926 Henry Burns Callander placed the castle into
Crichton Castle Address: Crichton, Pathhead,
Midlothian EH37 5XA, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided
View Larger Map
Crichton Castle Photos
Crichton Castle courtyard
Crichton Castle main entrance
Crichton Castle The well