stands on a 300 feet hill on the southern side of Edinburgh.
Craigmillar Castle Short
Built in the 15th century by the Prestons, it was sold in 1660
to the Gilmours.
The L shaped tower is the oldest part, and a curtain wall and
other ranges were added in the late 15th and 16th centuries. At either side of the outer
courtyard is a chapel and church.
The former dates from 1520 and contains Gilmour graves; the
latter was formed in 1687 from a 16th century block. On the south side of the castle is a dry
was burned in 1544 but rebuilt. Mary, Queen of Scots, was a regular visitor, and it was here
the plot to kill Darnley was laid.
The Castle Today
The castle was in ruins by the 18th century when the Gilmours
moved to The Inch, and proposals in 1842 to restore it as the Scottish home of Queen Victoria
came to nothing. It was placed in care in 1946.
Craigmillar Castle Map&Location
Address: Craigmillar Castle Road, Edinburgh EH16 4SY , United
Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map
Craigmillar Castle Photos
Craigmillar Castle grounds
Craigmillar Castle courtyard
Craigmillar Castle internal view
Craigmillar Castle winter