Castle Sween is a magnificent building standing
on a low headland that project into Loch Sween.
Castle Sween History
Tradition states that the castle was built by Sweyn, or Sueno,
Prince of Denmark, in the 11th century, but certainly nothing of the present structure is as
The MacSweens, or MacSuibhnes, held the fortress until after the
Wars of Independence (1296-1314), having opposed Bruce. John MacSween tried unsuccessfully to
recover the lands in 1311.
The Lords of the Isles then obtained the castle, which for some
years was held by Hector MacNeill on their behalf.
In 1481 the castle returned to royal hands and James III placed
it in the keepership of Colin Campbell, Earl of Argyll. The building was destroyed in 1647 when
MacDonald of Colkitto attacked it.
Castle Sween Tour
The irregular court is entered through a gateway in the south
wall and remnants of buildings and a well can be seen inside. Three towers stand at corners of
the yard, the Southeast being the smallest, with a watch-chamber.
The Northwest contains the prison, and the Northeast, or
Macmillan’s Tower, contains a fine kitchen range with an oven, millstone and
The oldest part of the castle was erected in the 12th century,
but in the late 1400s it was improved and extended.
Castle Sween Map&Location
Address: Castle Sween Caravan Park,
Ellary, Lochgilphead, Argyll & Bute PA31 8PT, United Kingdom. Get help with
directions using the map provided bellow:
View Larger Map
Castle Sween Photos
Click on the images to enlarge
Castle Sween inside
Castle Sween ruins
Residential caravan site at Castle Sween Bay