Castles and Palaces
Every Castle

Castle Menzies

Castle Menzies is the home of the Menzies clan.

Castle Menzies Historical Facts

The Castle Menzies is a particularly fine Z-plan tower house of around 1571-1577, built of local stone with blue slate dressings. It replaced a castle burned to the ground in 1502. 

The decorative Victorian porch leads to the ground floor of the main block, which is a series of vaulted chambers. Prince Charlie’s Room is where the Young Pretender slept two nights en route to Culloden, on 4th and 5th February 1746.

The main room has a restored plaster ceiling and a selection of museum cases. The anteroom contains a display of objects which includes Bonnie Prince Charlie’s death mask, Bibles, bells, and pewter ware.

A passage leads to the west wing of 1840, designed by William Burn, which is being restored. On the ground floor is a tearoom in what was once the servants’ parlour.

Externally the building is noted for its decorative pediments, armorial panels and numerous shot holes.

Castle Menzies was built on ancient Menzies homelands and was owned by the chiefs until 1918.

After passing through various hands it was acquired by the Menzies Clan Society in 1957, from which time restoration work has taken place.

Castle Menzies Map&Location

Castle Menzies Address: Weem, Aberfeldy PH15 2JD. Get help with directions using the map bellow:


View Larger Map

Castle Menzies Photos

Source: geograph.org.uk - Click on the images to enlarge
Castle Menzies
Castle Menzies grounds
Castle Menzies approach
Castle Menzies detail
Castle Menzies tower
West Lodge of Castle Menzies - Photos: geograph.org.uk
CATEGORIES