Castles and Palaces
Every Castle

Castle Campbell

Castle Campbell - Short History    

A winding road up Dollar Glen leads to the entrance gateway of Castle Campbell, spectacularly sited on a promontory of rock.

The 15th century tower stands to the left, with a vaulted room on the ground floor, a vaulted great hall over this with a large fireplace and a prison with pit below.

Castle Campbell was originally known as Castle Gloom, but in 1490 the 1st Earl of Argyll had the name changed.

Castle Campbell Facts

It was burned in 1654 by General Monk and abandoned. J E Kerr of Harviestoun presented it to the National Trust of Scotland in 1950, and are now open for visitors.

Castle Campbell Map&Location

Address: Castle Campbell, Dollar FK14 7PP, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:

View Larger Map

Castle Campbell Photos

Click on the images to enlarge
Castle Campbell
Castle Campbell and ruins
Castle Campbell courtyard
Castle Campbell old castle ruins
Campbell The Burn of Care