Carnasserie Castle is currently a ruined tower
house in Carnasserie.
John Carswell, who was granted the Protestant Bishopric of the
Isles in 1567 and was translator of Knox’s Liturgy into Gaelic, built the castle in the
The castle passed to the Campbells of Auchinbreck in 1572; an
old gateway to the orchard is dated 1681 with Sir Dougal Campbell’s initials.
He joined the Earl of Argyll in the Monmouth Rising of 1685 with
the consequence that Carnasserie was blown up by the Royalist forces under MacLaine of
A track from the car park climbs gradually uphill to the rocky
knoll on which this grey tower stands, commanding views of Kilmartin Glen.
The tower, which was built as one despite looking as though it
was extended, has interesting stringcourses, corbels and a carved panel over the re-entrant
The ground floor had the kitchen, with a large fire and unusual
water inlet and oven. The well is in the base of the tower. Spiral stairs climb up through the
building at each end, but the floors have gone.
Nevertheless, the wall-head walk is accessible, where Victorian
graffiti and mason’s marks can be seen. The castle has seven bedrooms, and the withdrawing room
has an ornate fireplace.
Castle - Facts
Entrance to the Carnasserie castle is free. The castle is
located in Carnasserie, Argyll, just two miles from Kilmartin and 150 km from
Carnasserie Castle Map&Location
Address: Carnasserie Castle, Kilmartin, PA31 8RQ, United
Kingdom. Get help with directions:
View Larger Map