Castles and Palaces
Every Castle

Barcaldine Castle

 Barcaldine Castle History    

Barcaldine Castle is a particularly attractive L-planned tower house, completed in 1609 by Sir Duncan Campbell of Glenorchy. The castle was an integral part of the Massacre of Glencoe, for MacIan of Glencoe was detained here for 24 hours in a plot to prevent him from swearing the oath of allegiance to William III in the given time.

The doorway at the foot of the re-entrant spiral stair still has its gate, built around 1600. The stair leads up to the wainscoted great hall, which has an armorial fireplace. A secret doorway leads to the small stair up to the bedroom floor.

The spiral stair goes to the top floor, where the library has displays on the Campbell family and the castle, as well as on the artist F.C.B. Cadell who lived here for a time. The tour descends to the Argyll Room which is reputedly haunted by the ‘Blue Lady’ – Harriet Campbell, who is said to be heard playing the piano.

The attractive Laird’s Parlour is located off the great hall. In the corner of the hall a tiny stair drops to the ground floor vaults, now the location of the castle kitchen, dining room and stores. In the passage is a grating over the bottle dungeon.

Barcaldine Castle Today

The Campbells abandoned Barcaldine in 1735 when they moved to Barcaldine House. The estates were sold during 1836-1843, but Sir Duncan Campbell bought the tower and restored it from 1896-1912. His arms and earlier ones are located on external walls.

The Barcaldine Castle currently is stiil used as a residence and also a hotel.(B&B)

Barcaldine Castle Map&Location

Address: Barcaldine Castle, Benderloch, Oban, Argyll PA37 1SA, United Kingdom. Get help with directions using the map provided bellow:


View Larger Map

Barcaldine Castle Photos

Photos source: geograph.org.uk
Click on the iamges to enlarge
Barcaldine Castle entrance
Barcaldine Castle garden
Barcaldine Castle pathway
Barcaldine Castle courtyard
Barcaldine Castle
Photos source: geograph.org.uk

 

CATEGORIES