Balvaird Castle is an
attractive tower house perched on a low knoll of the eastern Ochil Hills. It is reached by a
track from the public road.
Built with sandstone dressings, the tower is complete but only open
The courtyard buildings are accessible, but are in ruins. The
tower is of the L-plan, with entrance door in the re-entrant. The wall-head has a corbelled
parapet, and the turret corbels have small faces below them.
Another carved face is located on the north wall. Within the
hall is an aumbry that was probably taken from a monastery. There is a pit in the vaulted
ground floor, and the latrines are all connected to one chute, flushed with water, which is
diverted, from the roof.
A cap-house at the top of the stairway gives access to the
parapet walk. To the east of the castle is the former pleasance, or orchard, and the garden
lies to the south.
Balvaird Castle was
built by Sir Andrew Murray in 1500. The courtyard range and vaulted gateway were added in 1567,
The Murrays became Viscounts Stormont and Earls of Mansfield,
moving to Scone Palace, but this castle remains in their ownership, though it is in state
Balvaird Castle Map&Location
Balvaird Castle is situated in
the region of Perthshire, on the A912 road, between Gateside and Aberagie. Get help with
directions using the map provided bellow:
Geographic Coordinates: 56.2889,
Balvaird Castle in a larger map